When I asked Jake and Cody what they wanted to be for halloween this particular year, they immediately said they were going to pick something that would challenge me.
And challenge me they did!
After that transforming Optimus Prime costume, they knew that they could count on me to make whatever they come up with as true to character as possible.
The new GI Joe movie had just come out so Cody knew right away that he wanted to dress as GI Joe.
Jake, after giving it much thought says to me ” Grandma, let’s see just how good you are. I want to be Ironman!”
The first thing I do, with any costume, is to do a google search to get a good picture of what I am creating. During my search, I realized that if I made GI Joe wearing the accelerator suit, that it was actually very similar to the Ironman suit.
I was first thinking along the lines of using sports knee pads and shoulder pads for the costume, but then I discovered something amazing.
Pepakura is the software for unfolding a 3d object into printable parts. For example, if you have a 3d model of a helmet, you can unfold it and print it out to make a 1:1 prop.
You can download the software here.
This is what a lot of the people use that dress up for Comic Con. There was already a design in Pepakura for the Halo character that is very similar to what I needed so I decided to use that. It was designed for an adult so the real challenge was changing the measurements to fit the boys.
So basically, I printed the patterns onto card stock and hot glued them together, following the numbers.
I made a form with the boys measurements to fit the costume.
I coated all of the 3d parts with several coats of resin.
When everything had dried for several days, I painted it and added the special features.
For GI Joe:
I had to watch a lot of trailers for the GI Joe movie to know exactly how to make the accelerator suit. It had a spine on the back, that basically I printed from a picture, enlarged, cut out and coated with resin. It shot little rockets from one arm and was a rotating gun on the other. I also added some little lights for special effects.
This costume tied for first place, with his sister,the pink flamingo, at Applebee’s costume contest.
I used a push light for the chest and found some small locker lights for the palms.
This costume won first prize at the parade and costume contest in town.
And now, here are all of the costumes that year.
These costumes drained me, both physically and financially!
After working on these costumes for more than a month and spending a small fortune on supplies, I still had to figure out how to get them to New England safely.
I knew that they wouldn’t fit in my suitcase so I had to pay almost $100.00 to ship.
I announced to the kids that since these costumes were such a big hit, that I was going out while I was on top.
Linking up here:
Market yourself Monday at Sumo’s Sweet Stuff
Metamorphosis Monday at Between Naps on the Porch
A marvelous mess at Marvelously Messy
Newbie Mondays at Debbiedoo’s
Monday LinkUp Party at Making The World Cuter
I Gotta Try That
Cupcakes and Crinoline
Design Dreams By Anne
Three Mango Seeds
It’s So Very Cheri
Get your craft on at Today’s Creative Blog
Take a look Tuesday at Sugar Bee Crafts
Show me what ya got at Not Just A Housewife
A Bowl Full Of Lemons
Tout it Tuesday at Claiming Our Space
home decorating and organizing link party at Organize Your Stuff Now
Uncommonly yours at Uncommon Designs