This was my most challenging year for costumes!
Keep in mind, that all of these costumes that I am making are for the kids in New England and I am here in Florida. So, not only do I have the challenge of making them to fit without being able to try them on the kids but I also have to get them to the kids.
Two of the older boys really wanted to put my skills to the test and I will show you those on Wednesday.
But first, I want to tell you about the others that I made that year.
Connor was still very young so we just used a costume that I had sewn together very quickly when his brother was little. I made this cute dog costume out of an old velvet bedspread and a fleece jacket.
We just put a box around his stroller, added some stuffed dogs and a sign ” free to good home” and he was good to go!
Emily wanted to be something, this year, that would be easier to trick or treat in, but still have that “WOW” factor so she decided to be a pink flamingo.
This was a little challenging in the fact that I had to find everything in the same shade of pink. I ordered the plume feathers, feather fan, pink boas, and feather mask on line. I attached the boas to the shirt and skirt and added a plume feather to the hood. I hot glued the rest of the plume feathers to the fan and added some pink ribbon to tie it around the waist. To make sure everything would look right, I put the outfit on my scarecrow stand for its final fitting.
This costume tied for first place at the costume contest at Applebee’s.
Isabelle is all about the Disney Princesses, so she wanted to be Ariel, the little mermaid. I really thought that this was going to be the easiest costume to make but it proved to be a challenge as well. First of all, I had to find a long sleeved tan shirt and that was easier said than done! Then, this fabulous material that I bought at JoAnn fabric was very difficult to sew, the little shinny things were stuck on the fabric and gummed up the needle of my sewing machine, so I had to sew this one by hand. I also got several different shades of tulle and made a seaweed boa that attached to her arms.
Gavin loved Star Wars and after going back and forth as to which character he wanted to be, we agreed on Yoda. I cut the sleeves off of a green hooded sweatshirt and used them to make the ears and stuffed them with card stock for support. I also hot glued some fiber fill to the hood for the hair. I made the brown underneath suit out of felt for warmth and the cape was made out of unbleached Muslim. I happened to luck into a package of monster nails at the Goodwill so I used them and green kids gardening gloves to make the hands and feet. I ripped the seams from each finger section and resewed them to make three large fingers, I added the monster nails in the tips. For the feet, I stuffed the fingers and hot glued the ribbing of the glove to a pair of brown slippers. I made a belt to hold his light saber and a necklace to match the one that yoda wears. For the cane, I just taped several empty paper towel rolls together, rubbed it with some walnut stain, bent it to the shape that I wanted and then put several coats of resin on it.
This was not the most original costume, but it was one of my favorites and it drew a lot of attention.
Linking up here:
Market yourself Monday at Sumo’s Sweet Stuff
Metamorphosis Monday at Between Naps on the Porch
It’s So very creative at It’s So Very Cheri
A marvelous mess at Marvelously Messy
Newbie Mondays at Debbiedoo’s
Creative Corner Blog Hop at Cherished Handmade Treasures
Monday LinkUp Party at Making The World Cuter
I Gotta Try That
Get your craft on at Today’s Creative Blog
Take a look Tuesday at Sugar Bee Crafts
Show me what ya got at Not Just A Housewife
A Bowl Full Of Lemons
Tout it Tuesday at Claiming Our Space
home decorating and organizing link party at Organize Your Stuff Now
Uncommonly yours at Uncommon Designs